[Dutch Lock Down Day Four Hundred Twelve]
What have you learned this week, Leander?
A lot, Warriors.
- Cockroaches have been around since the time of dinosaurs!
- A cockroach can live almost a month without food.
- A cockroach can live about two weeks without water.
- Some female cockroaches only mate once and stay pregnant for life!
- A cockroach can live for up to one week without its head!
- Cockroaches can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes!
- Cockroaches can run up to 3 miles an hour.
And it’s only Wednesday.
But first the news:
- Vaccine passport may be a reality in June, opening doors to travel
- Average coronavirus cases on the rise; Covid-19 ICU total rises
- What effect has the vaccination campaign had on coronavirus in the Netherlands?
Cockroaches have been around for millions of years, evolving into some of the most adaptable pests on Earth. There are approximately 4,000 living species of cockroaches in the world. About 70 of these species are found in the United States.Cockroach Facts for Kids
It’s so gross.
It’s so hilarious.
I never thought I’d laugh so much about cockroaches.
Sixteen years ago, my partner and I adopted Zoe Angelica Fuzzy Butt, a long haired six month old cat from the shelter and one of the reasons we absolutely fell in love with her because she LOVED to be cuddled.
It was especially delightful because our other cat, ten years older, Cleopatra Queen of the Howl Leander, who was part Siamese, HATED to be cuddled.
Y’know, like a cat.
Zoe Fuzzy Cat Cuddles McGee Leander ALSO loved to sleep at the bottom of our bed, would jump up on our bed and curl up at the foot of the bed and I’d grab her and drag her up to my face and she’d settle down to sleep on my pillow curled against my head and shoulder.
It was divine.
So you can imagine my annoyance when she jumps up one night at the bottom of the bed, but when I drag her up to my head, she won’t stop wriggling.
And then she stops wriggling.
And dropped what she was holding.
Which lands on my face.
Now, here’s where my brain kind of goes dark – I somehow teleported ACROSS THE ROOM to the light switch and brought blessed light to the evil evil darkness where things land on faces.
And my partner, brilliant man that he is, ALSO teleports out of bed, so when the light comes on, we’re all standing.
Including Zoe Precious Pants Shadow Cat Leander who then POUNCES after something on my pillow which TAKES FLIGHT and lands on the wall.
And, yes, it’s everything you’re imagining – it’s a North Carolina flying cockroach and it was on my face and I never ever EVER cuddled Zoe against my face in the deep dark night EVER again.
And now I’m joking and shuddering and giggling about cockroaches and work for Cockroach Labs and am, officially, a Roacher having the absolute time of my life.
Ain’t life grand?