Ideally this posts are written in batches and then scheduled to be published at future dates and times but I’m SO NOT THERE YET.
Don’t try to write while also letting the television play if you’re Rain Leander cause you’ll be CONSTANTLY DISTRACTED. I mean, some people can do it?
But not I.
/me pauses the show so that she can write…
Sometimes even when you’ve pre-written the title and even added sub-titles and little phrases, a story still doesn’t resonate anymore. When this happens, go ahead and let your stream of consciousness fingers do the writing.
Try to use it as a meditative exercise, letting your fingers write as soon as thought pops into your head without editing. without backspace. without capitalization.
Sometimes backspacing and editing a bit and a dash of capitalization is just with the doctor ordered.
In this case, I had preps and seeds and such and a massive case of writer’s block. Probably because I started writing while watching a super interesting television, but also because I was trying to follow topics that just don’t resonate anymore.
So it’s time to improvise. Sometimes an improvisation is “Yes, AND!” and sometimes it’s, “NOPE!”
My Zusje and her partner were here this week and while this was super awesome wonderful, it also means I’m going to go through a bit of a funk now that they’ve departed.
And while that SUCKS, it’s SO TOTALLY WORTH IT to get to see them.
‘Fijne reis’ effectively means have a good ride and it’s something I wish for them on their trip to Amsterdam and home to the United States, but also to myself over the next few days.
THUS, I’ve thought about how I’m going to focus my brain / normalize / distract / self soothe as much as possible and avoid the dreaded Depression Monster.
- Stick to the schedule! Dragging my happy butt out of bed, helping P with Rush Hour and getting at least one child off to Somewhere Else will avoid Staying In Bed All Day.
- Venture Into Public! Once the house is empty, I’ll drag a laptop to the local cafe for a couple of hours of writing time even though I officially have today and tomorrow as vacation. Being in public forces normalcy at least to a superficial degree.
- Tackle the Chores! The laundry, the dishes, the bedrooms, the house – everything could use a little TLC as we’ve skipped the details in favor of having fun with guests. It’s time for a mini reset and getting things done will feel GOOD.
- Have a Backup Plan! Just in case I don’t have the energy / the depression looms / an emergency kick in the pants is warranted, I know I can: jump in a hot shower, take a hot bath, cuddle a cat, binge watch beautiful Netflix, huddle under under a comforter, drink a cup of tea, or take a nap. It’s important to have options.
What do YOU do to normalize / distract / self soothe?
Do you have a backup plan, too?
What’s on it?
I tossed together my favorite chocolate chip cookies for my favorite chocolate chip guests and I’ve done the recipe so much that I don’t pull it up when I bake, I just do it.
I have a similar skill with breads.
And I want to develop a similar skill with breakfasts and lunches and dinners. To eat healthier and also to be able to PROVIDE for myself, my partner and my littles.
I never really developed this ability and SUPER ADMIRE people who Can.
And if you’re keen, the chocolate chip recipe is something along the lines of:
- a cup of butter, melted
- a cup of sugar
- two cups of flour
- splash of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- packet of baking powder
- an egg
- chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Combine the sugar and melted butter and mix until the sugar is starting to melt into the butter cause ohm nom nom!
- Add the vanilla and a pinch of salt. Then the flour. Then the baking powder.
- Mix in the egg with your hands cause AWESOMENESS.
- When the mixture is cool enough, mix in the chocolate chip cookies.
- Let the dough rest for a bit cause if you bake it immediately the first batch of cookies are super thin and spread out. BUT THEY TASTE SO GOOOOOOD.
- Slap tablespoon size bits onto a cookie sheet and bake for 9-13 minutes / until golden brown on the edges.
- Let cool for at least three seconds before inhaling.
It also says to sift the flour and pbbbtht.